Sunday, June 27, 2010

Evangelism

Oh, the scary word!  Christians and non-Christians alike have seen the ugliness that has come through ungodly fanatics.  Yet, the only purpose for being on this earth is to GO and tell people about Jesus.  Why is this hard?

I've been reading about the early church in Acts.  I am moved to tears reading about Peter, Steven and Paul telling about the coming of Jesus, Jesus' life, death, and resurrection, and the salvation that Jesus brings.

Peter, a disciple of Christ, denied him 3 times when he was crucified and then weeks later was proclaiming his life.  Read Acts 2 and 10.

Steven was stoned to death just for talking about Christ.  I cried when I read this (Acts 7:54-60)

 54When they heard this, they were furious and gnashed their teeth at him. 55But Stephen, full of the Holy Spirit, looked up to heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God. 56"Look," he said, "I see heaven open and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God."  57At this they covered their ears and, yelling at the top of their voices, they all rushed at him, 58dragged him out of the city and began to stone him. Meanwhile, the witnesses laid their clothes at the feet of a young man named Saul.  59While they were stoning him, Stephen prayed, "Lord Jesus, receive my spirit." 60Then he fell on his knees and cried out, "Lord, do not hold this sin against them." When he had said this, he fell asleep.'''

He was like Jesus, stating, "forgive them for they do not know what they are doing."  That is love!

Then of course, Paul.  He starts proclaiming Jesus to non-Jews and it transformed the world!

Will I have this boldness?  Will I be able to tell people of the wonderful things that God has done in my life?  Can I be so filled that I bubble over with God's love?  I am thrilled about what God has done and have no hesitations to tell fellow believers, but what about those who do not believe?

God, you are so kind and compassionate, and so full of mercy.  Thank you for guiding me deeper into Jesus.  Holy Spirit, flow through me that your love and compassion would shine through me stronger than the weaknesses of my flesh.  May I love people like you love.  Show me your ways, Lord! Thank you for being God!  Thank you for the life of Jesus!

No comments: