Sunday, March 28, 2010

Orientation is done, Nights are not

After talking to my co-workers about my orientation and having only one week of nights, the CNS on my floor thought it would be good to have one more week of orientation, which is working with another nurse.  That allowed me to have two weeks of night shifts.  I finished that on Friday morning and my sleep and living schedule has been wacky ever since. 

I feel as if I have not really done anything productive, because I wake up in a fog and am sleepy most of the time.  Dan told me I'll have to get out of my pajamas, get out into the sun (or open the curtains and turn on lights since we live in a basement apartment), and be more active.  This is easier said than done.

When I previously prepared for my night shifts, I would stay up the entire night and sleep during the day.  My mom suggested that I might not have to do that, just sleep when I'm tired.  Friday night, Dan and I stayed up till 2am, slept and then I was wide awake at 5am.  I got up and did some reading on titrating drips on patients and before long, it was 8am.  I "napped" for an hour with Dan and woke up with him at 9am. 

After eating breakfast, he said that I really needed to sleep, because otherwise I'd be exhausted for church.  I knew he was right,  I was wide awake.  I laid down at 11 and slept till 2.  I woke up in a funk, but took a shower and got ready for church. Church was great and I was wide awake for the service and fellowship.  We came home and started a movie and Dan had to wake me up to finish it.  We ended up going to bed at midnight and here I am, awake at 3am.  These 3 hour spurts of sleep aren't going to cut it, I don't think. 

I have 3 nights in a row and then we're off to see our wonderful, new niece and Dan's family.  We are so excited for this opportunity and I hope that I will be awake to enjoy my time with them.

No comments: