Friday, May 16, 2008

Grandma Thomae

Grandma Thomae passed away last night in a nursing home in Oshkosh, WI. She was in the end stages of Alzheimer's. Last year, when Uncle Dan had passed away, she had her medications changed and was placed into a home that she didn't want to go into. Aunt Bev had tears in her eyes and told me that she was the happiest that she had ever seen her. I'm so glad that the end of her life was a pleasant one, except the Alzheimer's part.

So, I have to say that Grandma was amazing. Her and Grandpa (who passed away from oral cancer in 1995) used to travel all over the US visiting their 8 kids who resided in the following states: AZ, AL, NC, FL, IL, WA, WI, TX, etc. I loved my grandmother's cooking and my grandpa's sense of humor. We always spent holidays at the Thomae home when I was a kid.

I just have so many good memories of them! I miss them!

I have no grandparents left. It is such a strange feeling! I guess that's the definition of getting older, not having grandparents. Mom told me she'd live till 120, so I don't have to worry for awhile :) She's cute.

So, Dan and I leave for WI on Sunday. I'm so glad he can go with me. I'm looking forward to seeing all my family again! God was amazing in clearing my schedule (and Dan's)!

No comments: