Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Racism

I seem to complain a lot about Cincinnati. Racism, bad drivers, no thought are a few, but I really don't want to criticize. I mean, I love the weather, the blooming flowers, the rolling hills...but here are my current struggles.

I am working in hospice home care. My nurse is great. She has a bunch of issues (disabled husband, two teenagers, a mom who lives alone and has dementia, etc.), but she treats one of our patients horribly!

Sure, the man is black, 55, uses crack and drinks a lot, but that is no reason for him not to be treated with dignity and receive good care. My nurse constantly calls him a manipulator, drug addict, player, etc. She has NO HOPE for him.

I talked with my prof about him and she said that I needed to be his advocate. I found a lot of resources in the area and with my nurse's permission, gave them to him. He was amazed and thankful!

After our visit, the nurse talked to the doc and they proceeded to belittle him together. She asked if he should get oxygen for his shortness of breath and he said that was fine. She called the agency to order it and said, "well it's _________, so there's no rush. He'll either not use it or abuse it anyway" I was so appalled.

At the end of our day I brought up that that patient was my favorite and that I have all the hope in the world that he'll be able to enjoy life before it ends. I said that I had made bad decisions in my past and people turned away from me, but I am truly thankful for those who didn't.

We are all sinners. I hope I NEVER turn my back on anyone, especially a patient. May the grace that covers me each day, abound and overflow so that everyone knows that they are loved and cared for. We have a true HOPE! Every breath is proof that we should be on this earth, so we must find our purpose for this day!

No comments: