Saturday, September 6, 2008

A flat in Spain

Wed Sept 3:
Dan and I tried to get money out of 3 different ATMs and it wouldn't work. I was in panic mode, but our friend lent us 80 euros. We arrived in Spain by bus and were able to get money from the ATMs!
We took a taxi to our favorite hostel, but it was full because Mérida is in ferias. We then went to our least favorite hostel, but the cheapest. It was beastly hot, but it worked for 2 nights.
Dan called multiple property owners and scheduled apartment viewings. He was excited about a place near the Plaza de España. He said that would be the place.

Thur Sept 4:
We spent the day looking for apartments. I liked a lot of the places, but the locations were not ideal. Our legs were crying out in pain by the last visit. Dan swore we would sign on the last place. I said, "How do you know it will be so great?"
Now in Mérida, no one speaks English. We were looking at the place and I asked Dan if one of the windows opened. The lady answered me in English. I was shocked. We found out that she speaks English and her husband is Australian. They are both English teachers in Mérida. We began speaking in English and after a café, we signed the lease!
We wandered around the feria. It was just like the Marshfield fair but a little bigger. Very fun!

Fri Sept 5:
We moved in the morning and trekked all the way to CarreFour (Wal-Mart equivalent). Our legs were in pain from the days before. We were going to get a taxi, but we thought we'd be able to carry everything. Uggghhh. It was hot and the stuff was heavy...carrying it over the roman bridge.
It was our first evening in our new flat. The fireworks banged for the last day of the ferias.

Today:
Dan and I bought some necessities from the Chinese stores. Everything is quite cheap! I was disappointed that I skimped on the sheets. Ouch...they're scratchy.
I had to finish up an assignment for my nursing class this summer. I was a stressed about it's quality, but hopefully it will be sufficient.
We will head to Madrid on Monday for the week. I'm excited to see an actual known city in Spain!

Otro Cosas:
Signing up for internet was a process. It will not be connected until Sept 30th. Ughh, my classes started on the 24th. Dan and I laughed at this offer, "The first month is free if you don't use the service for 30 days!"

1 comment:

L said...

i loved chatting with you today/tonight, alicia! i also love all your links on your blog post -- it's so fun to see some of the same sites that you see.

love you and hope to talk soon!