Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Great In-Laws

Dan and I are going on 5 yrs of marriage this June. It has flown by! Before I was married, I spent 6 months with my future in-laws in Portugal. It was amazing to be in the presence of such amazing, godly people! Throughout our marriage, they have been very far away, and yet so close to my heart. They are missionaries and we do not talk very often, but we pray for one another constantly.

Recently my mother-in-law had surgery on her tongue, so I have been emailing daily and checking on her. She seems to be doing well, but I miss her terribly. Today my father-in-law wrote the most encouraging note about my time ending at UC and the positive impact I must have been with my time here. Yeah right...

I wish I could say that I was as dynamic with people as I used to be. I now find myself with the most negative attitude, a disdain for Cincinnati, and general unhappiness, even though I am really not unhappy, I am just unsettled.

Dan and I have spent these 5 yrs roaming about. We have been in school, we have traveled the world, we have had no huge responsibilities and all I find myself doing is complaining that we cannot settle down. What is wrong with me? People dream of doing what we do.

Don't get me wrong. I love traveling and being with Dan, but I am ready for the next part of life. I'm ready to have children, to have a career, to pay off bills instead of accumulating loans. I never want to get too comfortable, but I want to know at least a bit of my future.

Anyway, my father-in-law's email was an encouragement to better my attitude and make a good impression on people so that they remember me as a positive, loving person and not the negative, hater that I've been.

No comments: