Thursday, April 3, 2008

Mother-in-law


I can't believe I just wrote about my in-laws and now have more news to report. My mom-in-law had the tongue surgery last week to remove a growth that's been there for a few years. She went in for a check-up today to get her stitches removed (it's also their 32nd wedding anniversary). The biopsy shows that the growth was cancerous, so she is going back to have surgery this weekend.

There are the 5 stages of grief:
1. Denial
2. Anger
3. Bargaining
4. Depression
5. Acceptance

I know that I'm in the denial stage. It's weird to believe that my mom-in-law had/has cancer. My grandfather died from mouth cancer, but was a tobacco chewer. It was very painful to see him going through radiation and surgeries, but it had spread.

At this point, everyone is positive. The MD thinks they got it all and will remove a safety portion this weekend. My mom-in-law will spend around 6 night in the hospital and possibly go through radiation.

I'm trying to be sensitive to Dan. He is so strong, but I fall into my nursing mode, like I was talking to any patient, and it comes out caring, but distant at the same time.

Fortunately, we are believers. There isn't much you can do when you're an ocean apart except pray. Worrying doesn't get you anywhere. My mother-in-law wrote a very encouraging email to us, and the only thing I wish I could do is write one back. I found myself writing, "I love you so much! I'm praying for you!" I find that to be pretty weak, but that is all I have at this moment.

No comments: