Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Aculturation

Dan works at a warehouse that is a bus ride and mile walk away. He called me this morning and told me to buy 20 bus fairs because ticket prices are going up soon. I decide that this is a day to "mingle" with the Spaniards, even though I have way too much school work to do already.

I get to the bus station (which is not even a block away from our flat) and ask the woman inside that I want to buy 20 rides. She said that I had to do that on the bus. I was confused, but went to the bus. My Spanish is horrible, but I told him I did not want to ride now, just buy 20 rides. He was mad and confused and of course charged me a ride, even though I said no viaje ahora 10 times. He said I had to buy them in the station. I go back to the helpful lady and she said no charging here, but then got me another card (which cost 2 extra euros) and charged the other with 10 rides on the bus that I had just gotten off of. I was so annoyed and frustrated that I couldn't speak Spanish.

I called Dan to tell him about my experience and said I refused to go to the post office because I can't deal with more stress than I already have. He said I needed to go but I said NO. He said that he got yelled at by the bus driver for buying 20 rides, but he did recharged it anyway. I ask Dan, "so why did you put me into a situation where you already got yelled at?" He apologized, but I guess it leaves a story to laugh at later...much later after I calm down!

Ugghh. :P

No comments: